What Audiologists Don’t Know About The Facebook Pixel
By Katie Armatoski, Au.D
You might have heard the term “Facebook Pixel” floating around but like a lot of digital marketing terms, it might not have meant anything to you or it might have seemed like a concept that was way too “techy” to even matter to you and your business.
I totally get it. These terms and concepts can feel overwhelming, especially if you don’t consider yourself to be too tech savvy. But, I promise the Facebook Pixel is easy to understand — and implement — and I’m going to show you how it can help your practice thrive in this blog post.
What is the Facebook Pixel?
According to Facebook, the pixel is designed to help you, “measure the effectiveness of your advertising by understanding the actions people take on your website.”
But how does it ACTUALLY work? Great question. It’s basically just some basic internet code that Facebook generates for you. This code allows Facebook to “communicate” with your website and collect data on the people who visit your website from your Facebook ads.
Why Should I Install It?
There are actually a few major benefits that come with installing a Facebook Pixel on your practice’s website:
- When you post ads on behalf of your practice, you’ll be able to target a more accurate demographic of people who look like your already established patient base (this is called a “lookalike audience”).
- You’ll be able to reach more people who are actually looking for audiologists in their local area, rather than spending money targeting people who will never become patients.
- You’ll get to see which actions people are taking on your website (e.g. which pages they’re visiting and which things they’re clicking on) and you can segment them into groups (e.g. “clicked on offer” or “clicked on blog”)
- You’ll get more information about how your ads are performing and what actions people are taking after seeing your ads, which will help you build stronger ads moving forward.
- You will be able to re-target anyone who has visited your website which will continuously remind them of what you have to offer and why you are different.
Getting this kind of information and help for free is HUGE. There’s really no reason not to take advantage of this free tool that’s being offered to you by Facebook.
How to Retrieve and Install Facebook Pixel
I’ll walk you through the steps to grab your code and install it on your website. Note: this will be for WordPress-based websites. If you have a website that is running on a different platform, you will probably want to ask your web developer for assistance.
First, you’re going to make sure you’re logged into the Facebook account that’s associated with your practice’s page. Then, you’re going to go to the Events Manager page.
Select the Facebook Pixel option and click on Connect. Then, you’re going to give your Pixel a name. It can just be the name of your practice to start with.
You can add the URL for your website to see if Facebook is able to integrate with it easily, no coding required! If it is available, the directions to connect your site will be on the screen for you to follow. If not, you’ll need to add the code yourself. Don’t worry, Facebook will give you step-by-step instructions on how to do this. If you get stuck, you can always reach out to your web developer to help!
Once your Facebook Pixel is installed on your website either through the easy integration or through manually entering the code, you can set up events to start tracking people’s behavior on your website!
Setting Up Events
I’m not going to go into great detail about setting up events in this blog post because I don’t want to overwhelm you with tons of information. If you’re a member of Ascending Audiologists, I’ll help walk you through it! This is one of the first things I ask members if they have installed already because you need a certain number of events before you can start retargeting website visits.
In the meantime, just know that Facebook has lots of great resources out there to help walk you through the various kinds of events you can set up to track user behavior. You might want to bookmark this page because it’s a great place to start once you have your Facebook Pixel successfully installed.
Of course, if you have a question that you want to ask directly, you can always contact me and I’ll be more than happy to help guide you!